I run a fedora 24 as a Virtualbox VM on a windows host. The other day, after a kernel upgrade of this VM and rebooting, I got a black screen. Here is what I did to fix it :
- Reboot your VM and select a previous kernel with grub’s menu. If you don’t have one available, I guess you’ll have to boot in recovery mode and install one.
- Login as root
rcvboxadd cleanup- it will delete your currently installed guest additions
- Reboot on new kernel (should boot now, but guest additions KO), and login as root
- Install kernel-headers and kernel-devel of your current kernel version
- Mount VBox Guest Additions ISO, and execute
- Reboot (still on new kernel), and everything should be fine now.
Hope it helped.